Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Cave

There was a cave behind Mawmaw's home. Technically, being in the deep south of LA, this cave was a mass of tangled trees and vines. I had endless explorations through the cave system. Elaborate, mapped-out, elevated trails to secret rooms. Those secrets were well guarded. Summer days were spent in the cave not caring, or now remembering, the heat we all talk about. A discovery was made of a concrete bunker, rectangular with a hole at the center. What to do? Dig, of course. And that is exactly what I did for the next 3 months. No treasure did I unearth, but in my mind, there was no end to the wondrous possibilities. Physically, the Cave is gone now, but as I walk the now mown lawn I can still recall the trails and pathways, secret codes and special vines that transported a young boy to other worlds. (where is this boy now?)

No comments:

Post a Comment